Our mission is to understand how signaling molecules mediate cardiomyocyte growth, hypertrophy, heart failure, and regeneration. We use novel approaches in multiple model systems including sophisticated transgenic mice, fruit fly genetics, and mammalian cell-based systems. We investigate small molecules/drugs and signaling pathways in the context of cardiac physiology using chronic left anterior descending (LAD) artery ligations, LAD artery ischemia-reperfusion, and transverse aortic constriction (TAC) in transgenic mice. Research projects for potential graduate students, medical students, and post-doctoral fellows involve novel transgenic reporter mice, myocardial regeneration after injury, cardiac physiology/pathophysiology, and bioinformatics.
Jeff Saucerman, Department of Biomedical Engineering, UVA
Fred Epstein, Department of Biomedical Engineering, UVA
Thurl Harris, Department of Pharmacology, UVA
Elizabeth McNally, Department of Medicine/Cardiology, Feinberg School of Medicine-Northwestern University
Howard Rockman Lab, Duke University Medical Center
Don Fox Lab, Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology: http://www.foxlabduke.com/
1. Yu, L., Daniels, J., Wu, H. and Wolf, M.J. (2015) Cardiac hypertrophy induced by active Raf depends on Yorkie-mediated transcription. Science Signaling 8 (362): ra13
2. Yu, L., Daniels, J., Glaser, A. and Wolf M.J. (2013) Raf-mediated Cardiac Hypertrophy in Adult Drosophila. Disease Models and Mechanisms. 6(4):964-76.
3. Wolf, M.J. (2012) Modeling Cardiomyopathies in Drosophila. Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine 22(3):55-61.
4. Lin, N., Badie, N., Yu, L., Abraham, D., Cheng, H., Bursac, N., Rockman, H.A., and Wolf, M.J. (2011) A Method to Measure Myocardial Calcium Handling in Adult Drosophila. Circ. Res. May 27;108(11):1306-15
5. Yu L, Lee T, Lin N, Wolf MJ. (2010) Affecting Rhomboid-3 function causes a dilated heart in adult Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 6(5):e1000969
6. Wolf, M.J., Amerin, H., Izatt, J.A., Choma, M.A., Reedy, M.C., and Rockman, H.A. (2006) Drosophila as a Model for the Identification of Genes Causing Adult Human Heart Disease. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 103: 1394-9